AFRL Materials and Manufacturing Directorate celebrates annual awards winners
WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Ohio – The Air Force Research Laboratory’s Materials and Manufacturing Directorate recently held their 67th Annual Awards Luncheon at the Hope Hotel and Richard C. Holbrooke Conference Center to honor top achievers.
More than 100 finalists and awardees were honored at the event as Josh Forbes, materials engineer within the Materials and Manufacturing Directorate, served as the master of ceremonies.
The award recipients are as follows:
- Engineering Expertise Award: Alan Oquendo
- International Award: International Steel Collaboration Team – Dr. Manny Gonzales, Dr. Eric Payton and Capt. Bill Song
- R. Lee Kennard S&T Manufacturing Heritage Award: Nanocomposite Optical Ceramic Dome Scale-up Team – Brian Anderson, Jamie Hoff and Richard Porter
- Program Management Award: SarahKatie Thomas
- Supervisor Excellence Award: Gerard Reynolds
- Vincent J. Russo Award for Leadership Excellence: Dr. Jeffrey CALCATERRA
- Katie E. G. Thorp Inspiration Award – Dr. Allan Katz
- Mission Support Award (Individual): Denise Detrick
- Mission Support Award (Team): Logistics and Resources Team – Douglas Fulton, Hilary Howell, Lisa Lucas, Donald Piddock, Jason Ritchie, Mary Shelly and Jonathan Spencer
- Director’s Award (Team): MANTIS Team – Dr. Jennifer DeCerbo, Steven Mahurin, Dr. Matthew Mills, Chad Murphy, Kristin Steel and Dr. Jonathan Vernon
- Director’s Award (Junior Individual): Dr. Nicholas Wilson
- Director’s Award (Senior Individual): Dr. Mark Benedict
- Company Grade Officer: Capt. Lee Morris
- Field Grade Officer: Lt. Col. Ethan Holt
- Robert T. Schwartz Engineering Achievement Award: Dr. Sean Donegan
- Charles J. Cleary Scientific Award: The Metallic Materials and Processes Research Team – Dr. Edwin Schwalbach, Dr. Kevin Chaput and Dr. Sean Donegan
In addition to the festivities, a time of reflection was spent on the life of Dr. David Walker, Executive Director of the Wright Brothers Institute and former Materials and Manufacturing Directorate Director who recently passed away. He elevated both organizations with his outstanding leadership, friendship and mentorship to so many during his storied career.
“He was a true leader and champion for Air Force science and technology,” said Timothy Sakulich, Materials and Manufacturing Directorate Director.
Sakulich closed out the festivities by saying, “There is no finer opportunity as a leader than to be able to celebrate the work of the team that performs the mission. We get the mission done. That’s part of the professionalism that drives us to make sure today’s Air Force will continue to fly, fight and win.”
Many of the award recipients will advance to represent the Materials and Manufacturing Directorate at the annual AFRL Awards Ceremony in February.