Aerospace Academy for Educators: Summer Institute 2023 in Washington, D.C.
An immersive STEM professional development experience for K-12
educators in the National Capital Region
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Join this inaugural cohort of accomplished STEM teachers as they take on deep inquiry, informal learning connections, and career-based learning opportunities alongside experts at Air Force Office of Scientific Research and the National Reconnaissance Office. Be a part of a community of leaders who wish to expand upon their practice, engage in reimagined engineering challenges, and return to the classroom feeling energized and empowered.
This program is designed for K-12 teachers in the National Capital Region who seek to infuse science, technology, engineering, and math into their lessons, particularly around aerospace content and applications. Participants in this program will receive a $1,000 stipend and educational resources for their classroom.
The first annual Aerospace Academy for Educators Summer Institute will be held at the National Air and Space Museum on the National Mall in Washington, D.C., from August 7-11, 2023.
* Applications for the Aerospace Academy for Educators will open in early January 2023
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
- Licensed, practicing K-12 educators in the National Capital Region teaching one or more of the STEM content areas (science, technology, engineering, and/or math).
- Educators must be available to take part in the full week of programming and have reliable transportation to the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C.
- Educators who have developed interdisciplinary/transdisciplinary projects in the past or are interested in developing such projects in the future.
WHAT SHOULD YOU EXPECT?
Here’s an example of our daily schedule:
Daily Theme: Engineering Applications for the Classroom and Beyond
|9 AM – 10 AM||Welcome back/Engineering Design Challenge in teams|
|10:00 AM – 10:30 AM||Introduce the Engineering Design Challenge Database to cohort and examine activities in the set|
|10:30 AM – 11:30 AM||Guest Speaker: Aerospace Engineer within AFOSR|
|11:30 AM – 12:00 PM||Introduction to Cardboard Automata and Career Applications of Engineering Design Process|
|12:00 PM – 1:00 PM||Lunch|
|1:00 PM – 3:00 PM||Exploring with Cardboard Automata – building relevant classroom projects using maker-based learning, applied engineering, and a fresh perspective. Participants will have the opportunity to build their own cardboard automata and outline a similar project/lesson for their own classroom.|
|3:00 PM – 3:45 PM||Share-out completed automata and project ideas with cohort|
|3:45 PM – 4:00 PM||Closing Remarks and Departure|
Our Guiding Themes for our 2023 Summer Institute:
- Engineering Applications for Our Classroom and Beyond
- Clean Energy and Sustainability
- Life Sciences and Learning from
- Cybersecurity and Smart Tech Solutions
Our programming fully aligns with NGSS and SOL standards; the skills, lessons, and applications you gain from this institute are meant to be directly applied to your classroom!
Have questions? CLICK HERE!