The Science, Mathematics , and Research for Transformation (SMART) Scholarship-for-Service Program is part of a connected effort to improve the flow of new, highly skilled technical labor into Department of Defense facilities and agencies to enhance the technical skills of the workforce already in place.
SMART offers scholarships to Undergraduate, Master's and Doctoral students who have demonstrated the ability and special aptitude for excelling in STEM fields. SMART Scholars receive a cash award paid, full tuition and related education expenses, health insurance reimbursement allowance, book allowance, summer internship(s), and post-graduation career opportunities.
SMART Scholars are provided with the tools required to pursue their STEM education and begin their career in a prestigious civilian position with the Department of Defense (DoD).
- Full tuition and education related educational expenses (meal plans, housing, and parking not included)
- Stipend paid at a rate of $25,000 – $38,000 a year depending on degree level (may be prorated depending on award length)
- Summer research internships ranging from 8 to 12 weeks
- Health Insurance allowance of up to $1,200 peracademic year
- Miscellaneous allowance of up to $1,000 per academic year
- An experience mentor at one of the Sponsoring Facilities
- Employment placement at a DoD facility upon degree completion.
SMART Scholars are among the most talented and innovative minds in STEM with a mission to support the United States and protect national security. Our scholars have the opportunity to be leading agents in their field and pursue their passions.